Library faculty and staff were recognized for their commitment and contribution to the university, the University System of Maryland, or the state:
Aiden Faust, archivist for digital collections, received a University of Baltimore Renaissance Seed Scholars Fund for his Cork Factory Oral History Project .
Natalie Burclaff received the 2013 Maryland Library Association’s Emerging Leader Award.
Bill Helman, along with Carl Hudec (OTS), received a Provost Technology Grant to develop a better way for students to print in campus labs.
Lucy Holman received a Provost Technology Grant to present two workshops, Digital Scholarship, and Social Media in the Classroom, to faculty in the Networked Learning workshop.
Catherine Johnson was accepted into the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Immersion Program
Catherine Johnson, Natalie Burclaff, and Mike Kiel submitted a successful proposal to participate in ACRL’s Assessment in Action pilot program.
Michael Shochet was accepted into the Maryland Library Leadership Institute.
Erin Toepfner was accepted into and participated in Building Bridges Across Maryland for administrative staff.
Carol Vaeth was accepted into and participated in Building Bridges Across Maryland for supervisors.
Several library faculty and staff held offices and positions in state or national organizations including:
- Natalie Burclaff, co-chair, Membership and Marketing Committee, MLA.
- Natalie Burclaff, secretary of ACRL-MD, the academic division of MLA.
- Lucy Holman, past president, MLA.
- Lucy Holman, chair, Council of Library Directors, University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI).
- Lucy Holman, executive board, Maryland Congress of Academic Library Directors (CALD.)
- Lucy Holman, governing board, Maryland Digital Library (MDL) consortium.
- Catherine Johnson, secretary, UBalt Faculty Senate.
- Catherine Johnson, chair, ACRL Instruction Section Research and Scholarship Committee.
- Mike Kiel, secretary, Maryland Information Literacy Exchange.
- Betty Landesman, co-chair of the Content and Collection Management Topic Committee, National Information Standards Organization (NISO).
- Betty Landesman, co-chair, Science & Technology Section Science Resources Discovery & Access Committee, Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL).
- Betty Landesman, co-chair of USMAI Next Generation Integrated Library System (ILS) task group
- Carol Vaeth, co-chair of USMAI Interlibrary Loan Resource Sharing Task Group
Librarians that presented at state library associations and organizations:
- Burclaff, N. and Johnson, C. (2013, May). Planning social media: Tweets, Posts, and Pins With a Purpose. Presentation at the MLA Annual Conference.
- Johnson, C. and Burclaff, N. (2013, April). Making Social Media Meaningful: Connecting Missions and Policies. Paper presentation at the biannual meeting of the Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Helman, B. and Reyes, J. F. (2012, October). Responsive, User Driven, Mobile. Presentation at the Internet Librarian, 2013 conference, Monterey, CA.
- Helman, B. (2013, February). Mobile or Immobile? Responsive Design, Cookies and Kiosks. Presentation at the Amigos Online conference: HTML5 and CSS3 – Ready for Prime Time?
- Holman, L. (2013, May). Nailing the Perfect Interview. Presentation at the MLA Annual Conference.
- Landesman , B. (2012, November). Journals and Supplementary Data. Presentation at the Annual Charleston Conference: Issues in Book and Serial Acquisition.
- Ramsey, P., Brittingham, J., Dunn, E., and Malveaux, H. (2013, May). Perched on Your Shoulder: A Librarian’s Role in Guarding Patron Privacy. Presentation at the MLA Annual Conference.
- Shochet, M. & Holman, L. (2013, May). Become a Wiz at Data Viz. Presentation at the MLA Annual Conference.
Librarians that published in professional journals or contributed book chapters or reference entries:
- Faust, A. Bible Politics: Denial, Division, & Exclusion in the 19th-Century Religious Publishing Industry. In L. King-Hammond (Ed.), Ashé to Amen: African Americans and Biblical Imagery (pp. 13-18). New York: Museum of Biblical Art, 2013.
- Johnson, C. and Burclaff, N. (2013, April). Making Social Media Meaningful: Connecting Missions and Policies. Proceedings of the 2013 the Association of College and Research Libraries Conference.