Your research, preserved for the world to see.
If you are in a graduate degree program that requires a thesis or dissertation, you are required to submit an electronic and a print copy to the Robert L. Bogomolny Library. Below are steps to help you submit your thesis or dissertation to the library.
Preparing your Thesis or Dissertation
Before finalizing your thesis or dissertation, discuss the formatting with your adviser or program director to ensure that it matches program standards. This sample thesis template can assist you in preparing your thesis or dissertation for publication.
Once you have completed your thesis or dissertation, you will need to submit both an electronic copy and a print copy to the library. The electronic copy should be uploaded before you submit your print copy, otherwise you cannot get your verification form signed by Library staff to get your degree finalized.
Submitting Your Thesis or Dissertation
1.Your Electronic Copy
Both master's degree and doctoral candidates - submit your thesis or dissertation to KnowledgeWorks@UBalt.
- Submit your electronic copy to
an open-access UBalt repository which is part of the Maryland Shared Open Access Repository (MD-SOAR). The repository allows students and faculty to publish their scholarly and creative works for other researchers to access.
Here are instructions for submitting to KnowledgeWorks@UBalt.
Doctoral candidates - submit your dissertation to ProQuest Digital Dissertations (this step is optional for theses)
- Submit an electronic copy of your dissertation or thesis to ProQuest Digital Dissertations. This repository places your work in a national, searchable database for other researchers to use and cite. See the guidelines for authors and submit your completed dissertation or thesis today.
2.Your Print Copy (and Binding)
Both master's degree and doctoral candidates are required to submit one print copy of their thesis or dissertation which will be bound and kept in the Library's collection. You can also order personal and/or departmental copies to be bound.
Formatting specifications for your print copy:
- The left margin should be 1.5 inches to accommodate binding. Line spacing should be 1.5, and pages should be single-sided.
- The Library's copy must be submitted on acid-free 100% cotton paper for archival purposes. If the photocopy center does not know what brand to use, an example is Southworth 100% Cotton Resume Paper. Office Depot is one copy center that has the 100% cotton paper option.
- Additional copies do not have to be printed on 100% cotton paper.
- IMPORTANT: The Library's copy must include a sign-off page with the original signatures of your thesis or dissertation committee. Digital signatures are accepted.
Ordering bound copies:
- The Library will cover the cost of binding for the library copy. If you want a copy for yourself and/or departmental copies, additional copies can be submitted for binding at a cost of $20 each. If you want your personal copies mailed to you after binding, please add $3 to the cost of each copy. Payment will be accepted by cash or checks made payable to "University of Baltimore."
- Fill out the Dissertation/Thesis Binding Request form to include with your print copies.
- Please confirm with your program director to see if you need to have a print copy bound for your department.
Things to Know:
- In addition to the Binding Request form, you will need to fill out the Dissertation/Thesis Verification form. The verification form will need to be signed by a library staff member to verify your submission.
- A Student Checklist can be found in the sidebar, as well as quick links to the two forms and submission instructions.
- Materials are typically sent to the bindery once a year. The binding process takes approximately four weeks.
- If you are dropping off your thesis/dissertation copies, forms, and payment, please make an appointment by emailing Debbie Li or Tim Commo. Please fill out both forms (Dissertation/Thesis Binding Request Form and Dissertation/Thesis Verification Form) before coming to the library. Alternatively, you can mail your print copy(ies) with the forms and payment to:
Robert L. Bogomolny Library
The University of Baltimore
Acquisition & Discovery Services
1420 Maryland Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Questions? Contact Debbie Li.